SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership
Through the SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) works to remove solar market barriers and encourage the development of a sustainable solar infrastructure by residents and businesses in local communities. The Solar Foundation works with DOE and a number of other organizations to provide technical expertise to local governments that are interested in implementing solar programs and policies. These organizations include International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI), Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC), North Carolina Solar Center (NCSC), Meister Consultants Group (MCG), Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA), International City-County Management Association (ICMA), American Planning Association (APA) and National Association of Regional Councils (NARC).
Reports and Fact Sheets
- Leasing Municipal and Private Property for Solar: Key Steps and Considerations
- Solar as a Revenue Generator for Local Governments
- Solar in Small Communities: Challenges and Opportunities
- The State of the Solar Industry
- Solar Accounting: Measuring the Costs and Benefits of Going Solar
- Steps to a Successful Solar Request for Proposal (RFP)
- Solar and Grid Stability: A Primer for Local Governments
- Fact Sheet: Community Choice Aggregation
- Fact Sheet: Local Governments and Bulk Purchasing of Solar Energy Systems
- Fact Sheet: Solar Myths and Misconceptions: The "Costs" of Going Solar
Web Based Trainings
Solar in Small Communities: Challenges and Opportunities
**Best Viewed in Fullscreen Mode ** May not display correctly on slower internet connections**
- National Brownfields Conference | 3 April 2011
- American Planning Association Conference | 7 April 2011
- ASES National Solar Conference | 17 May 2011
- National Association of Regional Councils | 15 June 2011
- Solar Power International 2011 | 17-20 October 2011
- Transforming Local Governments | 20 April 2012
- National Association of Regional Councils | 11 June 2012
- Solar Powering Your Community Regional Workshops
- None scheduled at this time.
The SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership (SunShot Solar OPs) is modeled after the highly successful DOE Solar America Cities program, sharing best practices and resources with local governments across the country.
TSF and our partners conduct outreach to local governments across the U.S., providing them with tools and empowering those that wish to take informed action to build and expand their local solar markets. To best accelerate solar energy deployment, DOE encourages local governments to take a comprehensive, holistic approach rather than think project-by-project. To support this approach, SunShot Solar OPs teams provide information in many relevant areas, including solar policies and regulations, financial incentives, workforce training, and best practices for engaging utilities and members of the community. SunShot Solar OPs activities will include publishing information in national newsletters and creating local government membership organizations, facilitating peer-to-peer information sharing at regional workshops, and organizing one-on-one workshops for local governments.DOE’s recently-updated publication Solar Powering Your Community: A Guide for Local Governments serves as the foundation for our efforts.
For more information, visit the SunShot Initiative's Solar Energy Resource Center.